Firefox Showcase is a Firefox extension designed to facilitate tab discovery and management.
There are 3 different ways to invoke Showcase:
- In a window: the content will be shown in a separate window.
- Inside a tab: the content will be shown inside a tab of the invoking Firefox window.
- On the sidebar: Showcase will use the current Firefox window sidebar.
Also, it can be invoked in 2 different modes:
- Global: Showcase will show tabs from all currently opened Firefox windows.
- Local: only tabs from the invoking Firefox window will be shown.
Next there's a table with the default keyboard shortcuts for each of the modes:
To change the shortcuts, you may use the Keyconfig extension.
Each Showcase invocation mode has a menu entry in the Firefox menu bar: 2 in the Sidebar menu ("View" > "Sidebar"), and 4 in the new "Showcase" menu ("View" > "Showcase"), just under the "Sidebar" menu.
By default, the "List all tabs" button in the tab bar function is changed, and instead of showing a list of tabs, it will present a Showcase instance.
The old functionality is still present, and may be invoked by clicking the right mouse button on it. Also, it is possible to configure the Showcase instance mode using the Showcase options panel ("Advanced" > "Miscellaneous" > ""List all tabs" button invokes"). Other tab bar improvements are:
- Double clicking on a tab bar scroll arrow will scroll to the beginning or the end of the tab bar.
- Clicking on a tab bar scroll arrow with the right button will show a list of the hidden tabs placed on the corresponding side of the tab bar.
- An informative tooltip will appear when hovering over a tab bar scroll arrow, reporting how many tabs are left in that side of the tab bar.
This improvements can be disabled at any time using the Showcase options panel ("Advanced" > "Miscellaneous" > "Enable tab bar enhancements").
Alternatively, new buttons can be placed on Firefox toolbar that will invoke the different Showcase modes when pressed. To add them:
- Right click on the Firefox toolbar.
- On the contextual menu, choose "Customize...".
- Locate the new Showcase buttons on the "Customize Toolbar" window.
- Drag the button you want to use, and drop it on Firefox's toolbar.
- Once you're finished, click on the "Done" button, which is placed at the bottom right side of the "Customize Toolbar" window.